I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Healing Field -- 2011

Logan absolutely LOVES flags. Every time he sees one when we are driving around, he points to it and gets so excited and says “more” when we drive away. I love it, because it has helped me to notice the flags that are being flown around us. There are a LOT and I had never noticed them before. It makes me so happy that he loves seeing them so much.

Well, for the past nine years, starting with the first anniversary of 9/11, Sandy City has created a “Healing Field.” Apparently the first of its kind, now with many across the country, it is a huge field that has thousands of flags set up. Each flag represents a life lost on 9/11. It is so amazing and yet sobering to walk up to this field and see the seemingly never-ending rows of flags. I helped set up the flags the first year, it was a great experience.

I was so excited to take Logan so that he could see all of the flags. If he gets so excited to see one, how would he react to thousands? I was not disappointed. He LOVED it. And I was happy to be able to walk through those flags and reflect on that day ten years ago when I was sitting in my AP American History class and we turned the TV on to see the footage. {Quite a fitting class to be in, huh?}
If you look closely you can see Logan’s new haircut. Way too short. Sad smileOh, and I got a new haircut, too. Bangs and some black and purple/blue hair. 100_2398100_2402100_2404100_2406100_2407100_2410100_2415100_2416100_2420100_2422100_2423100_2426100_2428100_2429

2 comments:

Julie/Mom said...

Just reading your post and looking at your pictures brought tears to my eyes remembering that day 10 years ago. That is an awesome way to honor those lost. I try to fly our flag everyday. I've asked my neighbor who is watching our cats to put our flag out on Sunday.

Courtney said...

Its funny what kids decide to obsess over. Flags, huh? Not sure Rip has ever even noticed...

Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing.