I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Sunday, January 20, 2013

And Then He Was 3!

Logan's birthday is today. And I'm trying to figure out how in the world he got to be 3 years old! He woke up so excited for his birthday today. And the first thing he said when I went in to get him this morning was "Are my friends here?" Because he knew that some of his friends were coming for dinner, and most importantly, CAKE! He thought it was hilarious when I asked him "Are you 2?" And he'd grin and say "No! I 3!" He asked me to do it a few times today. I guess he understands what having a birthday means.

I'll do another post with pictures of the fun we had yesterday (not a whole lot of fun to be had with a Sunday birthday) and the awesome party we had today. But for now I want to share just a few of the many many things that make Logan Logan. Because we think he's pretty darn cute.


--I don't know how much I've documented this the last three years, but he is such a calm little boy (minus the first 3 months of his colicky life.) That's not to say that he doesn't have fun and get excited about things. But if we ask him to, he'll sit in one spot with his book or toy. Today he didn't want to go into nursery, so I told him he could come in to Sunday School with us but he had to just sit on our lap and be quiet and not play. And he did. (And I think he got pretty bored because he ended up going back to nursery. :))
--He loves to say "dang it." A part of me hates it, especially because I know he gets it from me, but another part of me thinks it's cute. If he misses a basket, can't find something, or if anything else just isn't quite going his way, he says it. And sometimes hangs his head when he does. It's just so cute.
--On the flipside, when things do go his way he says "Yeah, oh yeah!" I have no idea where he got it from.
--When I give him a lot of kisses at one time and really fast he says "Not lots of kisses!" Then he says "One kiss." *kiss* "And two kiss." *kiss, kiss* You bet I do it as much as I can.
--Everything's a competition with him. And he loves to point it out when he wins. He yells "I beat you!" And often times he says it even when he doesn't beat you.
--He cannot be bribed. We sometimes try to bribe him with a treat or TV time if we really want him to do something, and he doesn't care. If he doesn't want to do it, he won't. I'm gonna have to try to figure something out when it comes to potty training.
--When you tell him he's a big boy he says "I not a big boy! I'm a baby a little bit and a big boy a little bit."
--He always asks Jeremy and I to play with him. But then he doesn't really play with us. He plays by himself, but wants us near him. Weird....
--He loves to help me empty the dishwasher and make our bed. He puts all of his plates, cups and bowls away and the silverware. And it's "his job" to put the pillows on the bed.
--He LOVES music. He pays attention to music in the car more than I'd like him to, and recognizes a lot of songs after just a few notes. And of course he has his favorites and calls them "his songs." And he also loves to sing, sometimes real songs, but mostly made up ones. Those are my favorite.
--When he's trying to listen to something carefully, he completely covers one ear with his hand and turns his covered ear towards whatever he's trying to listen to. I promise, it's really cute.
--I love the way toddlers speak and hearing how they put certain things and thoughts together. Instead of saying "I won't" Logan says "I not will."
--This one kind of breaks my heart sometimes. He plays a lot of soccer, basketball, and "volleyball" lately, and if he has a few misses in a row or falls down (which happens a lot with soccer for some reason) he gets sad and says "I not good at soccer" or basketball, etc. and wants to stop playing. We always convince him that yes, he is good and likes to play, but it makes me so sad that he says that so readily and seriously. I hope quitting isn't yet another thing he gets from his mom.
--He calls "I Love to See the Temple" "Listen to The Temple." ....when you think about it, that title kind of works too.
--When we pray he starts out with his arms folded, but then he remembers that he prefers to have his hands clasped together, and then tells us to do it too.
--He's started to love building guns out of blocks or even seeing their shape in things like food. That's not cute. What is cute is that he calls them a "shooting maker."
--One day when we were eating at the table he asked me what the blue color was on his wrist and wanted me to clean it off. It took me awhile to figure out what he was talking about, but then I realized that he was pointing to a vein. He thought it was a pen mark! So cute. I showed him that I have blue marks too. It took me awhile but I think I was finally able to explain it in a way that he accepted and understood.
--He won't say good-bye to people. When we leave people's houses or they leave ours I ask him to say good-bye, and he won't. No matter how happy he is. So don't take it personally. He just doesn't want to do it.
--The poor kid is back to being pretty constipated. He just stands there for what seems like EVER trying to push it out. We'll definitely be asking his doctor about it at his appointment this week.
--He still LOVES puzzles. And he pretty much memorizes them after only a few times doing them. I feel like I should buy him a new puzzle every week so he has to keep figuring them out. But I obviously don't. That'd be ridiculous. Right?
--He takes a nap about 4 days a week. They have changed from 3 hour naps to 1.5 hour naps, but I'll take anything.
--He likes to say "Mom. I have a question for you." And then when I ask him what it is, he has absolutely no question. Most times he just tells me something random like what color something is.
--He LOOOVES his mommy. When he's upset, even when I'm the reason, he runs to me and wants me to hold him. And if anyone's going to take him out of the car, carry him anywhere, help him in anyway, it's got to be Mommy. And daddy NEVER gets to put Logan to bed unless I'm not home. I love my little momma's boy!
--When he sees yellow cars he yells "Bingo!" And it's, like, the most exciting thing ever to see a yellow car.


Happy birthday Logan! We love you so much and can't wait to see what fun things we get to hear and see from you this next year.