It makes sense, to me at least, to think that after a certain age your regrets in life should be minimal. When you are a kid you have no idea that when you are older you will look back and ask yourself “Why did I quit that?” or “Why didn’t I try to do that?” Sure, your parents will tell you, but what do they know? ;) When I was younger I quit piano and voice lessons. I didn’t try out for the high school basketball team (which I probably would have made. Not because I’m so good, but because our team wasn’t all that great). I didn’t try very hard at volleyball tryouts my junior year because I didn’t think I really wanted to be on the team again. I know I sound like I was a huge quitter, and I looking back on all that I guess I was. And, looking back, I wish I could take all of that back. I would love to be able to play the piano or sing with some confidence that I actually sound decent.
Unfortunately for me, those poor decisions didn’t disappear when I got older and “wiser.” My latest regret wasn’t something that I quit; it is something that I just didn’t do. For three years Jeremy and I lived in a condo that was surrounded by hundreds more condos filled with people who were primarily our same age and in the same stage in life… A perfect environment for meeting lots of people and making friends, right? And yet, I moved out without having made one friend. Yes, I knew a lot of names, knew where people lived, and even knew about some of the things that were happening in their lives, but I had never really done anything with any of them. There is no one I could call now and ask to go shopping or go to a chick flick that Jeremy doesn't want to go to, or just hang out. I am not a very outgoing person and I find it hard to strike up conversations with people, but that is no excuse. I had three years to talk with and get to know lots of great girls my age, but I just let them pass right on by. Now I live in an established ward and neighborhood with very few opportunities to do that. When I moved in back then why couldn’t I have been able to see three years ahead and see how I would be feeling now? I guess we live to learn…
4 comments:
Girl. Call or text me. Lets go to a chick flick!! I'm ALWAYS up for that. Seriously. 8302067
Wow, very open and honest thoughts, Cam. Proud of you. I'm sorry; I really am. And as hard a time as I give you, I do all of those things and STILL am not able to make friends. And I hate to say this, but I didn't really make friends until I had a calling that put in a position to do so. And now you have "that" calling again. I'm praying for you because I know it's nice to have them.
Ummm... I'm pretty sure that we are friends and we lived in the same condos together!! You have my number so just call me. Most the time i'm just at home by myself with the baby too!!!
Sad thing is that even when I make friends I am terrible about calling them to hang out.I end up all alone at my house most days. I always feel like I am trying to invite myself over or something. I am trying to get better. Play dates are a life saver for me. The kids are entertained and I get interactions with other women. I just need to be better at calling or inviting my friends over!
Sorry that you are feeling lonely. Wish we lived closer, then we could hang out and our boys could get to know each other.
Post a Comment