I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Monday, April 11, 2011

General Conference

I meant to write this last Monday, but my crippled hands didn’t allow me. Now that I am back to normal, I hope I can remember everything that I had wanted to write then.

I LOOOOOOOVE General Conference and always look forward to the first weekend in April and October (and not just because it means I don’t have to teach primary!) I love listening to the words of our leaders and getting that extra push to be a better person and a better member. There were a lot of great messages, as always, and I hope that I will do better at reading the Ensign when it comes so that I can remember them.

We went to dinner at Koy and Cassie’s after Conference on Sunday and she had a little “treasure chest” where we could write down what little treasures we had gotten from Conference the last two days (and we got a little “treasure” in return….candy!) For some reason, I had the hardest time remembering ANYTHING from Conference, even though I really had listened and had loved it all. But once she started reading the treasures that everyone else had written down, my memory was jump-started.

Here are the little treasures that I got last weekend.

-         GO TO THE TEMPLE!!! Something I already knew, obviously, but for some reason have the hardest time actually doing. I know that my life isn’t as busy I like to believe.
-         Be one of the incredible women that are a part of the Church.  We were literally told that “LDS women are incredible!” and there is so much more that I have to do to be able to fall into that category.
-         No one is immune to trials, and there is a purpose for every trial. I loved the analogy given of the gardener when he cut down the tree. “I cut you down because I love you.”
-         I need to BE and DO. I loved this talk. I know that I am one of those people who likes to believe that I am good (Be) but don’t necessarily do the things that would make that true. I’ve always said, to myself mostly, that my problem isn’t so much that I do bad things, but I don’t do the things that I know I should....
-         Elder Scott had an incredible marriage. Now, I know that wasn’t the purpose of his talk, and what I really learned is that I need to be the kind of wife that he had. And that marriage is wonderful and how blessed I am to have such an incredible husband.

And there was so much more! There were so many wonderful things shared at Conference. I am so grateful to have leaders who are able to share messages from our Father in Heaven, to motivate us to live and be better, and are able to do so with so much love.

It was also so fun to have our little Primary kids call us during the Sunday Afternoon Session to tell us they got Blackout with the Conference Bingo game that we gave them. Most of them called us, and I am glad that they listened, even if it was just to get a prize.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thanks so much for posting this. You are such a good person. :) Me and Christian loved visiting you and Logan a few weeks ago!