I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Our Precious Logan is Here

It is times like this that I really wish I were a better story teller. But I am not, and I am still going to share the story of Logan's arrival. Luckily you won't be able to tell if I don't make it through without shedding a few tears.

Tuesday I went to my weekly appointment and hadn't really progressed any. I had thinned out more but was no more dilated than the previous four weeks. The doctor knew I was anxious to meet the little guy, so he stripped my membranes but made sure I understood that it might not do anything. He also let me set an induction date for Monday, January 25, if I made it that far.
The next morning, Wednesday, January 20th, I woke up at around 4:00 am with pains. I tend to second guess myself and wouldn't quite let myself believe that they were contractions. I felt 90% of the pain in my buttocks area, and I had never quite heard of those kind of contractions before. I didn't want to wake Jeremy up any sooner than I needed to, so I got out of bed and tried to distract myself. I cleaned a little bit, read, tried to sleep a little bit more, all the while trying to figure out how long these "pains" were. I was still planning on heading into work, if only for a few hours, to get some stuff done that I hadn't gotten done the day before. So I showered and did my hair, then finally woke Jeremy up. By this point I was thinking that they probably were labor pains, and that they were consistently getting closer together. So, I finally decided that Jeremy could drive me to work and that he should PROBABLY not go to school. Once we got in the car, I decided that work was not an option. Jeremy called the hospital to ask if we should go in. They said to wait until the contractions were longer. I should explain that although I was in a lot of pain, I had it in my head that labor would be a LOT more painful, so when they said wait, I didn't really second guess them. Well, we got to my parent's house (which is only 3 minutes away from the hospital), and after being there for around 15 minutes my mom told me TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL. I guess she figured I was in enough pain.

We got to labor and delivery at around 9:00, and I told them that I was having some pretty bad contractions and they led us to a room. The lady initially told me to just undress from the waist down until they could check me, but I had a contraction while she was in there and she said "You are pretty uncomfortable, aren't you?" When I said yes, she said to just go ahead and undress the whole way and put a robe on. So a nurse came in and finally checked to see how far along I was. Well, she just starts laugh-ing. "You'll never guess where you are at." Jeremy, jokingly, says 8 (I didn't want to talk if I didn't have to.) She says "Nope. (more laughing) You're at a 10." I guess it was decided that I could be admitted. So she got everything set up and was asking me all these questions, which I was in no mood to answer. Because my water hadn't broken yet, I could still get an epidural. I said to hurry and get the anesthesiologist in there quick before it did. Boy, did that feel good. My mom and Jeremy would tell me that I was having a contraction, and I had no idea. It was awesome. Once the epidural fully kicked in, the nurse had me start pushing. After about four pushes she calls another nurse and says to have the doctor come in STAT. I thought that just meant that the baby was ready to come. When the doctor came in a few minutes later, he told me that he was going to give me an episiotomy and use a suction to help the baby come out. After all was said and done, I found out that his heart rate had gotten down to 60 bpm, and anything under 100 is cause for concern. But, little Logan came out as good as could be, so much so that they gave him right to me. It is such an amazing feeling to hold your little baby in your arms for the first time. He was just perfect!!! He was 8 lb 12 oz and 21 inches long, born at 10:37 am, January 20, 2010. I think he looks like his dad; which I am more than okay with.

Everything has gone smoothly. I have recovered quite well and he has been a perfect angel. He loves to suck, which is great because he loves his binky. And when his binky falls out or I am switching sides, he automatically starts to suck on his hand. In fact, he did it within his first hour of life. He loves to be swaddled, it automatically calms him down, and he's got the cutest little "smile." It already makes me sad to think of him being a week, a month, three months old. I want him to stay this small forever. But I know that I will love every stage.
I feel and know that I am so blessed. I have a wonderful, healthy baby and a wonderful husband who makes a great dad. I don't know what I did to deserve all of it, and I probably don't, but I'll take it. I already feel so much love for the little guy and know that it will just get stronger every day. Thank you to you all for your love and support and best wishes. We are truly grateful for it all.
The little guy. He does NOT like it when he's not swaddled.

The proud daddy.


Our little family with the good doctor.
Mommy and Logan.
Grandma Lombardi with her favorite grandchild. :D
First bath.

Nice and warm!
Look at all that dark hair!
The hospital treated us to a "romantic dinner for two" our last night. Hmm, maybe I should have dressed up a little bit more.
Dressed to go home. Aren't I so cute?
There he is, sucking on his hand! Yeah, I accidentally grabbed 3 months pants. Oops!
Daddy is in love.
First night in the crib. He actually didn't spend too much time in it!

15 comments:

Trista said...

What? A romantic dinner for two?! That had better be a new thing because they've never even acknowledged Terry before. We'd better get it, too. ;) He is adorable--even cuter in real life.

Amanda said...

What a BEAUTIFUL baby! I'm so happy he's here!

Your little labor story makes me laugh. I will never understand how a person can be a 10, without an epidural, and laboring at home. My water broke at the beginning of my labor, which I've heard intensifies contractions like a billion percent, so I could have NEVER done what you did. Congrats to you! That's quite a story.

The Romig Chronicles said...

Congrats Cameo! Having a new baby is such a miracle. I am so happy for you. I hope you enjoy every moment. Also, did they remodel AVH? Your room looks different than the two that I delivered my girls in. Your little guy is so cute! Seeing him is making me giddy for my own delivery.
So happy for you!

Kimmie said...

oh my gosh he's gorgous! Girl, you were experiencing back labor. My heart goes out to you! I was in labor for 3 days and went it when my contractions were 3-5 mins apart and they sent me home from the hospital. Then the next night was up ALL night experiencing intense back labor about 20 minutes apart. I was so distraught because my contractions were so far apart and I hurt so bad! when I got to the hospital to be checked because I hurt so bad I was as a 7. I can't believe you made it to a 10! AND tried to go to work. You are tough!

I totally get you on wanting him to stay little. I am in shock that clay is a year old next month. They really do grow too fast, but they start giving back and it's so fun to see them grow.

It can be so hard after you have a baby, but just give it a good 3 months and you'll feel like yourself again. You'll be sleeping, healed and not still feel pregnant. :)

If you need to talk or anything send me an email. I wouldn't call it postpartum that I felt, more just fear, anxiety and crazy hormones. It was the most beautiful and scarey time of my life after I had Clay. Let me know if you need anything.

Oh Cameo, he's so beautiful! I love the name Logan. I think he does look like his dad and have your complexion. I am so happy for you! Motherhood is the best! Love you.

Terri Griffith said...

He is so cute! I think he looks a lot like you in some of the pics. but it is so hard to tell when they are this little. Can't wait to meet him soon!!

Nat-a-baby said...

Congratulations Cameo and Jeremy!! What a cutie pie he is with all that hair. And I can't believe your story about wanting to go to work when you were in that much pain! Crazy girl! I'm really glad you got to have the epidural and that you are recovering well. WELCOME LOGAN!!
P.S. Tell your mom I think she is looking really good a well!P.S.S your nursery is so dang cute with the polka dots and stripe around the top. Jeremy, it was totally worth doing even if you hated it!

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

Oh my goodness, Cameo! He is SO adorable! I LOVE the newborn stage -- they are so sweet and so cuddly. And wow...you are amazing. I can't believe you were at at 10 when you got the epidural! Logan is so beautiful! (Can I say that even though he's a boy? Well, it's true, he is!) Congratulations!!!

Pamela said...

Congrats you guys, that is wonderful we are so glad he got here safe and sound. Now the real fun begins.

Julie/Mom said...

The picture of Jeremy and Logan on the floor is beautiful! It made the tears almost come. :D I can't wait to see and hold Logan on Sat. And of course you guys too!!!:)
By the way it was a great "story".
It made me smile when I read it!

Lombardi Update said...

He is adorable, thank you for bringing him by. We loved seeing him and he was the topic all day with Malia, she keeps telling me she wants a baby. Hopefully this passes as fast as the puppy faze, unlike boston you can't just get rid of a baby;) We might just have to borrow Logan once in awhile.

Courtney said...

Ahhh... newborns. I want to see you guys (you and Logan, not so much Jeremy) when you're up to it. We can do 'mommy' things which consists of doing a whole lot of nothing.

But we can't be friends if you become one of those 'first-time moms.' I hate those. They make me nauseous.

Unknown said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats! What a beautiful boy!! It also makes me VERY happy to see Dr. Tanner in your pictures. He's just the best ever!

And now the fun begins! Enjoy every second, because before you know it, little Logan is going to be running around. There is no such thing as spoiling!!!

Love ya cutie!!

Angi Gerrie said...

CONGRATS! It took me days to finish reading your story (we don't have our own computer right now so I kept getting kicked off!) and I loved it! That is so awesome that you got to a 10... well, maybe awesome isn't the right word. :) Anyway, congrats again- he is a little stud!

ali-dot-e said...

COngratulations! He is so adorable! Your Labor story made me laugh, I can't believe you were a 10! You go girl!

Unknown said...

He is just perfect, Cameo. I'm so happy for you. And way to go! I admire your toughness throughout that pain! As well as how quickly you seem to be adapting!!! Wow.

Who says you're not a great story-teller? I was on the EDGE of my seat, girl. The EDGE.

You guys are an adorable little fam. Loved the pics. Wish I could see Logan's cuddley smileyness in the flesh. :) I will now move on to your newer post with more pics...