I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Books, Books, and More Books!

***Disclaimer: If you don't like to read, you may be bored by this post. But if I can get you interested in any, then this post has done it's job.***

I love to read, and I used to keep a current list of the books that I read, mostly so that I could remember. Well, I haven't done that for over a year, which is sad because I have read some great books, and I know that I can't even remember all of them. I thought I'd write about some of the books that I have read over the past year. {You'll see that I'm not much of a critic. I either love a book or don't (usually love), and don't always have a reason for either!}

The books that I read the first few weeks that I was home with Logan were The Mortal Instruments series {3 books} by Cassandra Clare {which I just found out was having a fourth book added to it. And here I thought I had read a series AFTER it was completed.}These were AWESOME books. Vampires, werewolves, demons, "shadowhunters", warlocks, and a whole lot more; how could you go wrong? And of course, what book would be complete without a love story? These were very well written books, very entertaining, and I made sure I had them by the rocking chair so I could read them as I was nursing Logan; with the boppy on my lap, Logan in one arm and the book in the other!

I then re-read The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I loved the book just as much the second time around. I know a lot of people had a hard time getting into it, but I never did. And I still cried at the end even knowing how it all ends up. I just don't understand how someone's mind can come up with a story like that.

I then spent quite some time reading the Children of the Promise {5 books} and Hearts of the Children {5 books}series by Dean Hughes. The first series follows an LDS family from Salt Lake in the 1940's; one son who served a mission in Germany then had to fight WWII against the people he had learned to love, a family that he baptized and their escape from Germany while fighting against the Nazis, a son who was a POW in the Philippines, a daughter who was a Navy nurse at Pearl Harbor, and the rest of the family at home. I had read this series years ago and wanted to read it again. Amazing books. I love historical fiction, and I learned so much about the war in different parts of the world as well as how it affected America. Beautifully written and uplifting books.

The second series follows the children's children in the 70's; a son who fought in Vietnam, a daughter who follows the anti-war and hippy movement then volunteers in the Peace Corps in the Philippines where her dad had been a POW, a daughter who went to BYU and married an abusive man, and their cousin who is in East Germany as a Mormon, a place that doesn't accept religion or anyone whose ideals don't follow that of the oppressive government. Again, great books. These ones were a lot more contentious; but it portrayed the way the country was; during WWII the country came together and during Vietnam the country was divided. He later wrote a book called Promises We Keep which finished the story of the girl who had married the abusive husband. I was really glad he did because for some reason I especially loved that portion of the story. I really did marry a great great man.Great, great books.

In the middle of reading these books I took a break and read Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, the third book of the Hunger Games. A lot of people didn't like it I guess, but I loved it. It was a very different story than the first two books, but the situation itself was completely different. I loved what Katniss did at the end. I may have cheered out loud.

My parents brought me a book that they've had on their bookshelf for forever and I for some reason never thought to read it, but boy am I glad I finally did. It is called The Alliance by Gerald N. Lund, the author of the Work and the Glory series. It was a story of a group of survivors after civilization was almost destroyed thanks to war and greed and all that human stuff. They come to find out there's a city that exists that is "perfect" with no violence or crime. But that perfection comes with a price, and they have to decide if it's worth it or if they want to fight against it. For me it was kind of a mix of The Host and Mockingjay, both books that I loved. I gave a talk a few weeks ago in Sacrament Meeting about agency, and I thought a lot about this book because it showed how important it is to us to be able to make our own choices.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett is an amazing book. Set in Mississippi in 1962, it follows black women who are hired help to white families. The prejudice and superiority is a frame of mind that I just don't understand, but it was real, and this book made you feel for how much the help had to put up with. But there were also stories of great relationships between the help and the families they worked with. It was a very inspirational book that had me amazed by the strength of people. I was so disappointed when I first found out that it was being made into a movie because I feel like all good books end up being made into movies that aren't nearly half as good {Twilight, anyone?}, but from what I can tell, it is being done well, so I am excited to see it.

Hush, Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. More fun young adult books, these ones about a Fallen Angel and a regular human girl. I wasn't a huge fan during the first few chapters, I thought it was just way too much like Twilight. {Attractive guy who no one knows nothing about, girl is forced to sit by him in Biology class, she can't stop thinking about him, he may or may not want to kill her, etc.} But as I got farther into it it turned into it's own story and I was hooked. These weren't really anything but a fun read. But I love those.Third one to come soon.

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. Great author. I love her books. If you haven't read Goose Girl, I highly recommend it. If you have a secret {or maybe not so secret} crush on Mr. Darcy of Pride and Prejudice, read Austenland. And if you want another great book, read Princess Academy. Shannon Hale is so good at creating her own land and turning a seemingly ordinary girl into a heroine. Loved loved loved this book.

Whew. There you go! I am sure I have missed some, but I think that list is long enough. I'm thinking it's time for me to read a classic. And I haven't read any "grocery store" books lately. Hmm..... I might also see some John Grisham or Dean Koontz in my near future. And if you have any suggestions, please please please send them my way!!!

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I Think Princess Academy was my favorite of Shannon Hales books, although I liked them all. The Mortal instr. series is on my list, I may have to move it closer to the top now that I know you liked them. I would recommend on of Kathy Reich's novels( the Bones series) if you are looking for a good "grocery store" novel. I really like them and I just discovered that she wrote a teen novel, which I am reading now.

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

I love reading too, and it's been FAR too long since I've read anything of substance! Thanks for these suggestions! I am excited to read some of them!

by Jennifer Smith said...

I'm reading The Help right now and I'm listening to Austenland on CD. I'll definitely read the other ones on your list I haven't gotten to yet! I just finished Jane Eyre and really liked that one! I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands so I'm excited for your suggestions. Two others on my list are The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. My mother in law just finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and loved it.