I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Behold Your Little Ones....

You know how when Primary teachers are the ones speaking/sharing their testimony in church and they say how they learn as much from the kids as they teach them? It really isn't just a saying. Okay, I guess sometimes it probably is, but for me this time around it's not. At all. We teach the 9-10 year old class, and it's the oldest group we've had. And boy do they know how to talk to each other and not listen to us and drive me crazy. But they also know a lot and have some great questions; questions I don't always know how to answer (and I don't just mean the time when I was teaching about how Jesus' actual father is Heavenly Father and not Joseph......) because I don't know the answer. It makes me wonder. Was I that curious when I was their age? And most importantly, do I not listen to the lessons? Or pay attention when I read the scriptures? To save myself from embarrassment, I won't tell you some of the things I haven't known.....(I really should have known them.) But  last week one of our kids asked a question that really got me and Jeremy thinking and studying, because we aren't sure we know the answer.  Maybe this is part of the reason that my church callings have been confined to Primary ones the last five years? Because I need to learn from these kids and haven't done that yet? And maybe with the way I have been searching to find the answer to that question (one that is personal to us) it will be the start of a new and better approach to scripture study. Something I REALLY need to work on.

Anyway. It's been a very thought provoking experience for me and one that I hope I learn from.

3 comments:

Nat-a-baby said...

Good luck in your studies! I have never had a calling in primary yet... and I won't say that I'm sad about it.

Trista said...

So you're just going to leave me hangin'?!

cameo said...

The purpose of the post was not the actual question or questions, but my thoughts because of them.