I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Thursday, February 14, 2008

ADVENTURE!!!

Yesterday was definitely a day to remember! I wish I had the way for storytelling that Sam does, but you'll just have to deal with my way. For those who don't live in Utah, yesterday we had one of the biggest and worst storms in recent years, and it was all on the commute home. Lovely. I was going to go to the gym but after looking at the weather thought better of it and decided to just go straight home. So I start driving and it is completely a white out, the wind was crazy. I pulled to the side of the road trying to decide if I wanted to just go back to work and "wait it out" or not because I had no idea when to turn or when to go straight because all I saw was white. I decided to follow one of my co-workers, Candice, who was going the same way I was. One minute later I see her drive into a snowbank (missed a turn), and I knew that would have been me. So after about a half hour of driving like that, not knowing where cars were or where the turns were, I get onto the main street and it is BACKED UP. Candice texts me and tells me that there is a 12 car pile up on the way to my house, pretty much the only way there. So I decide to go to Smith's; I wanted to go anyway to get some cake and frosting to make cupcakes for work. I walk in and there are probably hundreds of people inside, just waiting. There are rumors going around of the road up to Eagle Mountain being closed and having to wait at Smith's for two to five hours. So I walk around a lot, go through the check out four times, go to Little Caesar's, try to call people but am not able to get through because everybody else was trying to do the same thing, text, and then my phone goes out. I run into the Primary President in my ward and am able to talk to her for most of the FIVE+ hours I was there. Jeremy finally gets to Smith's after two hours of driving home from work (8ish miles). Crazy. It was like a refugee camp. People thought they were going to have to sleep at Smith's and we were going to try to get down to Provo and stay with Alixa and Jarom or call Candice. Luckily, we saw that the traffic up to Eagle Mountain was moving (very slowly). The main road was closed but they were regulating the back road. Finally at 11:30 we got home; so much for the cupcakes! I found out today that five people at my work were stranded and ended up sleeping at Keith's house because they couldn't get home. It was pretty amazing and I can officially, 100% say that I am THROUGH with the snow!

2 comments:

Julie/Mom said...

You made the news here in CA. They showed pictures of abandoned cars and all the snow and a snowplow working. Even though they said it was Lehi, Jeremy said it was actually more like Alpine, Saratoga and Eagle mountain. I thought of you guys when I saw that. I enjoyed reading about your adventure.

Ben Arkell said...

What good is a cell phone if it doesn't work when you need it? Anyway, sorry you had such a long night. I second your statement-I am also officially done with snow (but I do love living 1 mile from work, it makes the commute so nice in winter)