Well, I know I’ve just recently said it, but I am pretty competitive. And it really does run in the family. I remember watching one of my brothers play in a 3 on 3 tournament, and even though he was losing I remember him saying something like “You guys suck!” or “These guys suck!” in reference to the other team. Hello, they are beating you, so what does that say about your team? (Ha ha, just kidding.)
And the most classic example of the way my family gets into sports (hope you don’t mind that I’m putting this on my blog, Mom!) I will preface this by reminding you that the students who ref for Intramural Sports aren’t always great and are often on some sort of power trip… So anyway, my brother(s) played intramural sports at BYU and my mom and dad, being the supportive parents that they are, would drive down to watch them. Well, Mom didn’t get to see the end of the game...she got thrown out. As a fan. I guess the ref didn’t like her being so vocal about what she thought of his reffing. They’ve got to grow some spines down there in Provo!
Well, there are various Lombardi stories out there: yelling at TVs, throwing things, yelling at other teams, card and board games almost causing divorces (not really, but it can seem like it at the time,) being asked not to show up to region ball EVER again (I believe that was directed to the Lombardi clan as a whole.) Yeah, lots of stories. And, unfortunately, I added to the list last night.
I almost got a technical at my b-ball game last night. And I say almost because I was told if I said one more thing I would. And Jeremy says if he was the ref, he would have given me one. And from what I know of the rules in our stake, I should have. But I was so mad! It was such a fun game, we came from behind and it was neck and neck. I was under the basket and, as is usual in girl’s ball, was just surrounded by people and I got hit in the face multiple times. Well, somehow I got called for a travel. And I yelled something along the lines of “ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I GOT HIT IN THE FACE LIKE FIVE TIMES!!!!” Yeah, you aren’t supposed to say anything to the ref. Then, as the other team was passing it in off of that horrible call, they threw it down court to the 6’2” girl that I was covering. Well, with a long throw like that, it’s easy to read the pass and I ran to try to get it. And I don’t really know who ran into who (I think Jeremy says she ran into me), but me and the girl collided, and the whistle blew, and I was still heated. So my team called a time out and our captain was told that if I said anything else I would get a T. Ugh, I was so frustrated and felt like a fool. I didn’t realize I was being that bad! And you know the other team went home and told their families there was this psycho girl on the other team. Whew, it took me quite a while to get rid of all of that emotion (anger, embarrassment, frustration, etc.) Luckily I came home and watched the Office and it settled me down. But yeah, it was an intense night. And what’s worse, we lost by two in overtime!
It WAS a fun game, though. But I think I’d prefer that the next one not be so close!
3 years ago
5 comments:
You guys always tell me that I have just based on to you guys my bad attributes. I am so sorry that you got that one. But really, refs need to be extra sensitive to my children or they deal with me. Ha, ha. It was probably a good thing that I was not there. Love ya, Mom
You're making us all sound a little nutty, Cam. Thanks!
You go girl! I would never ref a game but I am sure happy to yell at them :)
What about the time when Pace threw Sara, your Dad tried to throw him, and then Taunia didn't talk to me for 2 months because Johnny Harline scored the winning touchdown for the Cougs against the Utes. People, it's.just.a.game.
Ben, a little exageration don't you think? And I cannot believe that I spelled "based" for passed. I am losing it.
Post a Comment