I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ragnar--Wasatch Back Relay

My family, being the totally crazy-need-any-excuse-to-spend-time-with-each-other-and-why-not-kill-ourselves-while-we-are-at-it people that we are (remember Timpanogos Hike or Annual Lombardi Half Marathon, anyone?), decided it would be fun exciting an awesome experience to run the Wasatch Back together this year. It is a 24+ hour (our team might be more like 30+ hours), 188 mile, 12 person relay from Logan to Park City. Each runner has three legs to run, and yes, it goes straight through the night.

Now that it is 2011, I realized it is about time I get serious about getting ready for it. Below is my Training Schedule, which I tweaked from the one on the website, because I know myself and I know that I need some days off or it just WON'T happen. This starts January 31.......YIKES!

Week     Mon     Tues          Thur               Fri                 Sat        
1            3 M      4 M           4 M               3 M/RC         5 M                
2            3 M      4 M           4 M               3 M/RC         6 M                
3            4 M      5 M           5 M               4 M/RC         6 M                
4            4 M      5 M           5 M               4 M/RC         7 M                
5            5 M      6 M           5 M               5 M/RC         8 M               
6            5 M      6 M           6 M               5 M/RC         10 M              
7            5 M      7 M           6 M               5 M/RC          8 M                
8            5 M      7 M           7 M               5 M/RC         12 M               
9            5 M      8 M           7 M               5 M/RC         10 M              
10          5 M      8 M           8 M               5 M/RC         13 M              
11          5 M      6 M-H       8 M               5 M/RC         12 M             
12          5 M      7 M-H       3 M/3 M        5 M/RC         14 M             
13          5 M      8 M-H       9 M               5 M/RC          5M/5M/3M  
14          5 M      8 M-H       4 M/4 M        5 M/RC         16 M             
15          5 M      8 M-H       5 M               5 M/RC          6 M/4M/4M  
16          5 M      8 M-H       5 M/5M         5 M/RC         18 M             
17          5 M      8 M-H       9 M               5 M/RC          5M/5M/5M  
18          5 M      8 M-H       3 M/3M         5 M/RC         14 M          
19          5 M      8 M-H       8 M               4 M/RC          7 M              
20          5 M      4 M           4 M                RACE             RACE            

{Wednesday and Sundays are REST days
  M-H  = Hill training......MY FAVORITE            
  RC = My way of giving myself an out control, I can either run OR cross train OR rest....bwa ha ha
  M/M = multiple runs in one day to mirror the way the actual race is run}

Now, for some reason, I am really second guessing what I got myself into..... Looking at this reminds me an AWFUL lot of when I trained for the Marathon in 2008. {And I don't understand why I need to run 18 miles, when the longest run in the race is 9. Maybe I'll change those extra long ones to hill training.}Jeremy and I decided this would be a lot easier if I wasn't working, but alas, I will just have to have extra motivation this time around.

I am posting this so I have some accountability to someone other than myself and a husband who tells me to do whatever I want, even if that means skipping a day or whole week of training. So help keep me going!
     

2 comments:

Laura Cates said...

Dave wants you to know he ran 4 miles today. Don't let him beat you, work harder!

Nat-a-baby said...

Hey Ho. Funny, I'm signed up for the Wasatch back as well and I have not even thought twice yet about starting to train for it. I think I was planning on starting in March, but I didn't really think about it. There is so much snow on the ground here right now and I can't mentally hack the treadmille for more than 3 miles so I think I'll stick with my plan. But where did you get that training outline? The Wasatchback website? I need to find some steep hills around here to train on or I'll be dead.