I'M BUSY LIVING IN A PERFECT DAY
-Lady Antebellum

Friday, April 3, 2009

Gold's Gym No More!!!

I thought I would share a little story with my readers (Oh, how I, and I am sure you, wish I was a story teller!) I know I’ve said a few times before that I am not a fan of Gold’s Gym. Well, actually, it is more of a HATRED. When I try to explain why to people, they don’t usually understand. (But for starters: they have the worst customer service, they will tell you anything you want to hear so you sign up, and the answer to the exact same question will depend on who you ask.) Well, here’s an account of my last and FINAL encounter with Gold’s Gym. To me, it is a perfect example of what to expect from Gold’s Gym.

First, for a little background. Jeremy and I both signed up for two years in 2007. He never really used it so I called to find out how to pay the $100 cancellation fee and get him off of it. Well, come to find out their policy is that you can’t cancel any memberships there; your only options are a) sell your contract or b) move more than 25 miles away from any Gold’s Gym location. Right. (You’d think Eagle Mountain is more than 25 miles, but it’s not, it’s only 13.) That right there I think is one of the most ridiculous policies ever. IF I AM WILLING TO PAY A CANCELLATION FEE, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CANCEL!!! It REALLY pissed me off.

Now, to the actual story. In the beginning of March I called the Utah Corporate Office to find out when my membership was up and to see what I could do to make sure they didn’t automatically renew it. After leaving several messages, because of course they never answered, I was finally able to get a hold of someone. She told me that my membership was up May 18 and all I needed to do was e-mail her a request that my membership not to be renewed and I would be all set. I did so and planned on calling again about a week or so before it was up because I didn’t really trust that I would indeed be “all set.” This is the e-mail I sent:

“I am sending this e-mail to request that my membership with Gold’s Gym be cancelled at the time that my current membership expires, which I was told is May 18, 2009. My barcode number is 3023541.

Please let me know when this request is processed so I can be sure that my membership will not be renewed.

Thank you.

Cameo Bell”

I had gone to the gym several times after sending that e-mail. But about two weeks ago when I went, after scanning my card and walking towards the dressing room, they called me back. Below is what I can remember of the conversation.

GG: Did you cancel your membership?
Me: No. I called and asked that it not be renewed when it’s up, though.
GG: It looks like it’s been cancelled.
Me: I thought you couldn’t cancel. You have to live more than 25 miles away. (Said with as much contempt as possible.)
GG: That’s not us (as in that ghetto Sandy location), that’s corporate that does that stuff…

At this point I was mad. And the girl I was talking to was getting to the point where she was uncomfortable. So this other guy (one who just a week before asked me if I was going to renew and I said no. When he asked me why, I said “Because I don’t like Gold’s Gym.” He had nothing to say to that.) came over and looked at my account.

GG: It looks like your account was cancelled. Did you talk to corporate?
Me: Yes, and I told them that I didn’t want my membership to renew. And they told me that was in May, which means I have two more months to come here.
GG: I’m sorry. It looks like it’s been cancelled. You can call corporate (as he tries to hand me a business card with the number).
Me: That’s okay, I have their number. I’m not surprised at all this would happen here.

Then I walked out. As much as I hated them, I was planning on having a gym membership for two more months. I was MAD. And I didn’t have my phone so I couldn’t call and vent to Jeremy. The drive home was very long. Eww, it’s making me mad right now just remembering it.

Luckily, I don’t (and won’t) ever have to deal with them AGAIN! But I still don’t have a gym membership, which sucks because as much as I love Jillian’s videos, I miss the gym. And I don’t like running in anything but perfect weather, so I can’t run outside yet. So, when I can be sure Gold’s doesn’t charge me this month, it’s off to Lifetime I go!

***I found the picture by googling images of Gold's Gym, and I found this little story; another great example of why Gold's is the worst. It's not just me.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Have you been talking to Josh? I'm pretty sure he's going to end up in prison as soon as he gets his way and blows up Gold's Gym and every person inside. He doesn't just hate it, Cameo. He loathes it. Such hatred is not natural.

Erin said...

So sorry to hear about the Gold's Gym junk...You'd think in this economy they would step up their customer service a bit...

Lara said...

I had a horrible experience with them in my first semester of college. They really will tell you anything to get you to sign up. Then they can't back it up because the employee that told you they'd give you ___ many months for $____ mysteriously "didn't show up to work today"...
So take my advice. Stop running and go buy some potato chips. You'll be so much happier! :)

Ben Arkell said...

So how do you suggest I handle it when my membership comes up for renewal in Nov? I don't want to renew it.

Unknown said...

I was wondering why I haven't seen you at the gym for a while. Golds Gym is run by dirty rotten scoundrels. I totally wished I would have signed up at another gym but now I'm stuck. At least you got to cancel your membership without paying a fee!